[TowerTalk] Re: Heights Tower Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Heights Tower Questions
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:46:54 -0600
Hi Bob,

I got a note from the guy who bought the damaged tower.
Both of our recollections have faded as this was at least
10 years ago, maybe more.  He did comment that there
were several broken WELDS in the upper sections,
indicating a possible welding quality problem at the time.
Presumably these upper welds broke on impact when
the tower fell.  Certainly a broken weld on one of the
bottom tapered section is a possible / probable cause
of the tower failure.  I still contend that the addition
of a horizontal brace would significantly improve the
safety margin of the Heights aluminum towers.

The tower in question consisted of 10 alternating
tapered and straight sections for a total height of 80 ft.
I believe the collapsed leg was on the bottom section.

de  Tom  N4KG