[TowerTalk] phase on klm baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] phase on klm baluns
From: kcl@bwn.net (Kathy London)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:23:50 -0700
I have a pair of KT34XA's stacked on one of my towers.  I have found that
the only sure-fire way to make sure that the phase is the same on the 2
baluns is to measure it.  Here's how I did it ...

- Run a little RF (< 1 watt) into both baluns simultaneously, using a
T-connector.
- Attach the balun leads in series.
- Using an RF voltmeter or oscilloscope, measure the output voltage.
- Flip the leads on one of the baluns around
- Re-measure the output voltage.

You will see a large difference in the output voltage - indicating in one
configuration you had the baluns in-phase, and the other configuration
out-of-phase.  Now put a mark on each balun indicating the phasing.

73,
Steve, N2IC/0