[TowerTalk] Guy protection, your thought?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy protection, your thought?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:13:36 EST
In a message dated 99-12-30 18:09:44 EST, w6ter@worldnet.att.net writes:

> I want to prevent the local disgruntled neighbor, or the teen with 3
>  beers in his belt, from vandalizing the guy wires of my towers. Here is
>  my current thought, would look forward to any other ideas.
>
>  Put 15 feet of 2 inch ID IMC conduit together and slip it over the 1/4
>  inch EHS. It will slip over the thimbles and the turnbuckles, as well.
>  When things are tensioned and secure, using a ladder, secure the top end
>  of the conduit to the guy.

      How does this prevent someone with an adjustable wrench from taking
some nuts off or backing off a turnbuckle?

      This is more of a perceived danger than a real one. 1/4" EHS is pretty
tough stuff so I doubt that anyone is going to work hard enough to sever it.
As long as you've got  the turnbuckles safety wired, you've done about as
much as you can do. There's nothing you can do if someone is motivated enough
and has the right tools. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech