[TowerTalk] Danger sign paranoia

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Danger sign paranoia
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:19:23 -0800
My friend applied for a conditional use permit for his crank-up
tower about a year ago. As part of the permiting process his
neighbors were notified and a publice hearing was held. One of
the letters that was circulated among the neighbors trying to
raise their concern about the tower installation was from a
medical doctor who lived in the neighborhood. The doctor was
attempting to warn the rest of the neighborhood about the possible
"radiation fallout" from the antenna installation (yes, those were
his exact words). I guess the implication is that we should all
trade in our field strength meters and Bird wattmeters for Geiger
counters.

Of course, I am sure that none of my friend's health conscious
neighbors (including the doctor) own cell phones. Nevertheless,
I would refrain from putting up anykind of sign that says "radiation"
on it, lest you end up defending yourself on an episode of Oprah
Winfrey.