[TowerTalk] 80 meter 4 square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 meter 4 square
From: dcbc@ipa.net (dcbc)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:34:15 -0600
Hello All
I was told if I have any questions about towers and antennas to ask here on
this reflector.
I want to build a 80 meter 4 square array.
I plan to build it out of Rhon 25 tower.
I also have read that a elevated feed with elevated radials is better.
So I plan to have the feed at 10 feet above ground.
Which would be a better feed system to use an insulator or shunt feed the
tower.
If it is better to use a insulator. Then I am planing to use an Apl25g
Accessory plate on the first section with a 12 X 12 X 1 1/2 inch thick piece
of delrin as the insulator. on top of this the Bpc25g Concrete base plate as
the upper plate for the rest of the tower to be built on.
If shunt feed then I would attach the radials at the 10 foot level and build
the tower as normal. Shunt feed has the advantage of lightning protection
and tower is in 1 piece.
Anyone out there built one of these arrays and have any thoughts on what I
should do?

Thanks
Dan W0VD