Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net> (Bob Otto)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:27:11 -0500
Hello Dave,

I've been watching this thread from a distance.  I am not a PE, and do
not have the formulas that you guys are using.  I do have some
reasonable real world experience based on several freestanding towers
of my own and helping with several others.  My "gut" reaction is as
follows:

A)  You have too much load on that tower for the 110 MPH loads you
expect to see in FL., and the antenna's you're going to mount on it.

B)  There are many variables that you have not taken into account (at
least in your logic as posted - perhaps you have privately).  For
instance, how will the tower be bracketed to the house?  Will it be
screwed to the gutter board?  Will it be lag bolted to a wall that is
reinforced?  What do the brackets look like.  I have seen several
towers mounted with brackets at the 1/4 or 1/3 mark and no guy
wires.....come down in relatively low wind conditions -- not because
the tower failed, but because the bracket failed.  Those towers were
NOT used as they were intended/designed, and they failed!

C)  It's dangerous to do your own calculations on such a project
unless you really are experienced in such calculations.  What safety
number have you used.  You admitted you didn't take the tower itself
into the calculation because you didn't have data.  Additionally, I
didn't see any wind sail numbers for a rotor for the HF beams -- do
you plan to have them in a fixed position?  As you stated,
manufacturers use a safety factor to cover a great many variables
*they* haven't considered even with all they know about tower design.
You have even less knowledge and have NO safety factor.

D)  Have you taken twist into consideration??   A guyed tower doesn't
react the same way relative to twist that a freestanding tower does.
With no proper guys on the tower, you will have significant twist on a
tower that isn't designed to take twisting loads -- and that may spell
the doom to your installation rather than bending moments.

E)  How close are your neighbors?  You say you can't guy the tower
properly because you are ten feet from the property line -- are you
willing to gamble on damage or personal safety on your neighbors
property?  It's one thing if the tower fails and you do considerable
damage to your own home. It's kinda "shame on you" if that happens
<G>.  If the tower fell on your neighbors property and did damage, or
worse yet, did bodily harm to your neighbor, would you stand up in
court and say "I would have guyed it properly, Judge, but I didn't
have room so I just put it up based on my own caculations".

F)  The comparisons you're trying to make against a Rohn tower are not
valid at all!  The Rohn tower is a properly guyed tower.  The dynamics
of a properly guyed tower are completely different than a free
standing tower.  The base requirements are even different.  Think of
it like this.  Do you think Rohn would stand behind their numbers if
you decided to take the upper guys off their installation??  Are you
aware that if you guy a freestanding tower, you destroy it's ability
to function???  The two types of design are not comparable.

Additionally it troubles me a great deal that you are a "ARRL WCF
Section Manager".  You should be a person who sets an example for
others regarding the proper installation and operation of a good
Amateur Station -- are you??.

I think Hank gave you some really good advice when he said "If you
insist on going ahead, get a local P.E. to help you with this one. The
ARRL has a list of volunteer consulting engineers.".  The few hundred
dollars you spend will be well worth the investment.  I hope this
response doesn't sound personal attack.  I don't mean it that way at
all, but I am really concerned that you are heading for some real
trouble.

73 from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!