[TowerTalk] Re: Dipoles or G5RV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Dipoles or G5RV
From: SavageBR@aol.com (SavageBR@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:07:47 EST
Hi Ted
For the same application, I have installed two separate dipoles with a common
feedpoint using RG 8X and a single balun. I selected the dipoles to delete
the need of any tuner. In an emergency, sometimes less than skilled operators
use the equipment. The ability to get on the air quickly and be able to
"jump" between bands with one button on the radio and not have to tune
anything is a real advantage.

My 40 meter dipole is actually a trap dipole for 20 and 40 using 20 meter
coaxial traps. The 75 meter dipole is separate and is connected to the same
feed point. Thus providing 3 band operation, instant band switching -- and no
tuning.

If you use dipoles, I recommend you adjust each dipole separately and then
connect them to the common feed point for final adjustment. And, get the
dipoles as high as possible above the metal roof.

Good luck
Bruce ?AA4Z