[TowerTalk] Tribander question (TH-3)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tribander question (TH-3)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:25:22 -0600
Actually, the 14 ft boom is near 'optimum' for 3L on 10M.
An 18 ft boom is near optimum for 3L on 15M.
A 24 ft boom is near optimum for 3L on 20M.
(Optimum gain with moderate F/B occurs
around .35 WL for 3L designs)

SO, what band do you want to optimize?
The CC A4S uses a separate 10M reflector and an 18 ft boom
which is somewhat better than the A3 on a 14 ft boom.
The Mosley CL33 used 3L on an 18 ft boom which is
over 0.5 WL on 10M.  The curves for a 3L Yagi on a
0.5 WL boom in the W2PV Yagi Book show very LOW  F/B.

There are MANY different designs for 24 ft booms with
additional elements for 10 / 15.  You can line up reflectors
in band order but directors become a problem because a
single band lower freq director will look like an inefficient
reflector in front of the DE on the higher bands.  This
effect can be broken up by traps or open sleeve arrangements.

Without an antenna range to determine your gain / pattern
and to do impedance matching for all three bands, it is best
to take the stock antenna and use it as designed.  If you
change the spacing on your TH3, you will need to re-optimize
the tuning and matching for each band, a daunting task!

de Tom  N4KG