[TowerTalk] re: quad

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: quad
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:47:11 -0800
BMV wrote.....
> Again, this does not mean there was 10 dB difference between the antennas as
> it would be measured on the antenna test (or software) range, comparing it
> under the same conditions. There was 10 dB (roughly, averaged) reported by
> other stations when we did comparisons on the air, and as I mention with
> imperfect S-meter and other goofy things that go on in situation like that,
> but it is real life and that is what stations around the world reported.
> Tests were run between VE3BMV (Razor at 106 ft.) VE3HGN (6 el. KLM at 145 ft)
> VE3FFA (KLM at 80 ft) VE3MR (Telrex at 100 ft).

Big deal....I have seen these kind of "10 db" (or more) diffrences
in the same make and model of antenna at the same QTH -  because
the antennas were at diffrent heights.

If you add in diffrent locations spread out over several miles or more
you add so much uncertainty into the mix that there is no way to tell
what is going on.

I am sure your beam worked quite well - it had twice the boom length
of the 5 ele Telrex and I am sure it was bigger than the KLM as well - so
I do not doubt that it worked well.  As to the claims that your
antenna was "10 db" better than these antennas - I think that has
to be taken with caution - and now that we know your test conditions
we can add our own filters to your claims.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."