[TowerTalk] Tower Failures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Failures
From: Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com (Lonberg, Hank)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:49:06 -0800
Bill:

I agree with your observations concerning the guyed tower and potential
failure scenarios...

The freestanding tower if engineered and installed correctly and with a
constant cross section will fail at the base not 15 feet up. A cantilever
structure will always have the maximum moment and shear at the fixed support
point, i.e., the base in this case. How the structure behaves after the base
fails is another matter and is not quite linear in terms of cause and
effect. Worst case is that it falls full length on the ground.

For Bob: I think there is a Tower Erectors and manufacturer's association,
something like NACE or similar. They may be a viable source of tower failure
forensics and behavior.

Hank Lonberg, P.E. / KR7X