[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Rating
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:39:25 -0600
Actually, the R stands for "Radio Frequency" and the G stands for
"Government"
and the RG term is now an anachronism, since the military doesn't use it
any more - not that us old geezers are likely to let it die for quite a
while yet.
Further, copper was never spec'd for use of the term RG or Mil-C-17 or
the current M17. Copper was always there, of course, and the most typical
shield and the overwhelming majority, but Silver, Aluminum, Galvanized
steel and many alloys filled a small minority of RG designations.
RG8X is indeed a name coined by manufacturers, salesmen, or someone
looking for a descriptive term  - most likely in the CB craze years ago,
where it was advertised as "just as good as RG8/U" - some called it
"Mini-8," which is much more logical and true.
RG "type" or, "Mil type" indicate, with varying levels of honesty, that
the coax is made to the appropriate M17 spec for the number used, but
without proof or certifiability. It could or could not meet "QPL"
(Qualified Product Listing), depending on whom it was made for and why,
and whether it was sampled, inspected and approved by the Government
agency involved.
Absolutely .anybody can use these terms, so it is up to the buyer to
select  a vendor he can trust, or at least find again at some point down
the road
73,
Press Jones, N8UG - The Wireman, Inc., 261 Pittman Rd, Landrum, SC 29356
<Press@thewireman.com> or <orders@thewireman.com>
800-727-WIRE(9473)(sales)
Tech help 864-895-4195, fax 864-895-5811.Full catalog, images,
descriptions, coax specs,
 ordering, at http://www.thewireman.com and super deals, specials,
close-outs etc.,
at THE WIRELINE. Check the CALENDAR to find us at a hamfest!