[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Rating
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:23:42 +0100
Hi Gary,

I didn't guess, as well as I don't take "as is" a claimed number.
I prudentially estimated a reasonable breakdown voltage taking into
account cable dimensions, dielectric thickness and the dielectric
constant of the used insulating material.
I don't know where does the 300V RMS figure cames from, but if the
sizes I estimated for an RG8X cable are comparable with the real ones,
that breakdown voltage of 300V is by far not a realistic figure.
Considering the distance between the concentrical conductors, even with
an air gap (dielectric constant 1), the breakdown voltage is higher
than 300V.
I went to that http://www.thewireman.com/coaxdata.pdf but I don't think
that is a page from the Bible.
For example an RG142 (a teflon insulated coax cable) is reported with
the same 1400V voltage of an RG58 that uses a polyethylene dielectric,
another strange data is the mini RG174 with 1100V, at least if compared
with the RG58 data shown.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

RMS.
> | But the inner diameter of an RG8X must be a bit bigger since the
cable
> | is 50 OHms instead of 75, and the dielectric constant of foam PE is
> | less than with a compact type.
>
> Solid poly dielectric has a much higher voltage rating than foam.
Material,
> not size per se, is the dominant factor.  My data shows RG59 at more
like
> 1.7KV rms.
>
> | The lower dielectric constant is 1.5 for foam polyethylene and 2.26
for
> | solid polyethylene and all this leads to a consequential decrease in
> | the voltage rating of the cable.
> | Considering a safe margin, the voltage rating for a cable of that
size
> | and with foam poyethylene dielectric is minimum the half of what it
is
> | with a compact poyethylene.
>
> Why guess?  Check out information available on the web.  The best
info I've
> been  able to get states that RG8X has a rating of 300Vrms.  This is
from
> http://www.thewireman.com/coaxdata.pdf . It is interesting to note
that
> RG174 is 1100V, RG58 is 1400V, RG59 is 1700V and RG8 is 4000V.
>
> | Neglecting ohmic and expecially dielectric losses (low because foam
> | type and because frequency is not high), and further halving the max
> | applicable voltage (1.150/2=575V) to be "really" reliable (halving
the
> | voltage makes the power decreased to 1/4), with an SWR of 1:1 a safe
> | max power for that cable could be (575x575)/50=6612 Watt.
>
> Interesting approach. Now let's try it will real numbers:
>
> Let's assume what you did that the load is purely resistive and is
exactly
> 50 ohms, as is the source.  So, VSWR is 1:1.  In that case we can use
DC
> calculations:
>
> P=E*E/R -> E=SQRT(PR).  At 1500W output E=SQRT(1500*50)=SQRT(75000)
=274