[TowerTalk] Why does Cushcraft R7 work so well withoutradials?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why does Cushcraft R7 work so well withoutradials?
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:29:48 -0500
Mike,

I can only speak for the Cushcraft R7. It is a compromise 7 band 3/8
wavelength (electrically) vertical that uses 7 radials each 49" long that
act as a counterpoise for the lack of a ground system. The entire structure
is tuned. If you hang on any new radials, modify them or add an external
ground etc., you'll immediately de-tune the antenna and you're on your own!
These radials are a compromise between cost, space limitations etc.

73,

Joe, W1JR