[TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:45:35 +0000
I started thinking more about the question I had posed about the LOOS
tension gauge being used to measure tension on a small piece of EHS
attached to phylistrand.

Here's a thought experiment I proposed.  It was what got me thinking
about how accurate the LOOS gauge is on a short section of EHS flanked
by big grips.

The length of the EHS section is just equal to the length between the
Loose attach point and the readout scale.  Big grips on either side.
In this case, it would seem to be that it would take quite a bit more
downward force to obtain the same deflection one would get for a long
piece of the same EHS.  If the two ends of the EHS were physically
clamped in a vice, I'm sure it would take a MUCH larger downward
force.  Does the presence of husky big grips partially simulate these
vices.

I'm beginning to think that one needs a section at least twice the
length of the gauge to get a meaningful result.

If the above is not true, I'd really like to have some technically
savvy person explain to me how the gauge really does work correctly in
these cases.

de Brian/K3KO