[TowerTalk] Vertical array applications

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical array applications
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:35:27 -0500
At 11:48 AM 3/20/01 EST, K3BU@aol.com wrote:
>Here we must be hitting on discrepancies between theory (modeling programs,
>some books) and reality.
>Using "crummy" 2 el. parasitic verticals and dysfunctional 3 el. triangular
>array sitting on the beach I came very close to W4ZV 10m score who was using
>optimized 3 stack KLM of 6 el. (Both in NC) (yea, yea, I am 5x times better
>operator, etc. :-)
>I can "cost effective" forest of verticals for the price of 3 stack :-)
>(And don't need towers :-)
>You ought to try it to believe it!

Nope, models and the real world coincide pretty well -- as N6BT, K2KW et al
have shown, the verticals on the beach are a VERY special case.  I
carefully stipulated ground conditions in my comments.

Put your verticals at the same location as Bill's stack, and there would be
no contest.  Heck, put it at my QTH vs one of my C-3Es, and there would be
about an S-unit advantage to the horizontal antenna.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at