[TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio
From: k5na@texas.net (Richard L. King)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:12:06 +0000
At 07:57 4/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
> > Dale,
> >
> > After reading the fine print on one cell contract I wouldn't
> > let any of them get near my ham towers and especially not
> > replace them.  The contract basically said they became the
> > primary interest and if the ham stuff caused any interference
> > it had to stop immediately.  Typical commercial towers have
> > a "last on" policy that says whoever is last on the tower has
> > to solve any problems they create whether it be RX or TX.
> >
> > I'll bet if the ham club actually READS the fine print they
> > won't want to have anything to do with the cell site-
>
>Same here.
>
>I had an offer to buy my 300 foot tower for $50,000...pay me a
>monthly $300 property lease fee....plus pay me 25% of the monthly
>revenue of any systems on the tower.
>
>When I got down to re-wording the fine print on interference so that
>if it was MY fault I'd correct MY problem and if it was their fault
>they'd correct their problem, the deal fell apart.
>
>I had no access control, and they had priority.
>
>Plus, once they are they it is almost for life. If they are a headache,
>you are stuck.
>
>Read the fine print and have a couple **good** lawyers read it also.
>It may not be as sweet as it seems.
>73, Tom W8JI
>W8JI@contesting.com

In the last two months we have been approached by two different cell
companies (one was Sprint) about putting a cell tower on our 50 acres. One
of the companies was talking about a 350 footer (guyed) and the other a 250
footer (self-supporting). I probably have room here to add their towers
without too much interference to the ham towers and antennas.

The extra income from the cell companies looked nice, but then I read the
contracts closely.

I have to agree with John and Tom that it just isn't worth it. The cell
companies want too much control and it isn't worth the hassle to try and
negotiate a better contract with them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that
our next door neighbors don't go for the deal. I would hate to try and beam
through one of those things when working Europe.

So my only cell antenna here will remain only 1.5 inches high.

73, Richard

k5na@texas.net

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----