[TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:09:46 -0400
"Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net> wrote:

>In the last two months we have been approached by two different cell
>companies (one was Sprint) about putting a cell tower on our 50 acres. One
>of the companies was talking about a 350 footer (guyed) and the other a 250
>footer (self-supporting). I probably have room here to add their towers
>without too much interference to the ham towers and antennas.
>
>The extra income from the cell companies looked nice, but then I read the
>contracts closely.
>
>I have to agree with John and Tom that it just isn't worth it. The cell
>companies want too much control and it isn't worth the hassle to try and
>negotiate a better contract with them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that
>our next door neighbors don't go for the deal. I would hate to try and beam
>through one of those things when working Europe.

OTOH, if YOU own the tower, you can retain much greater control.

Here in Michigan, rental rates are high enough that a brand new
commercial tower - say 300' of Rohn 80 professionally installed
- will pay for itself within ONE year, assuming four cell/pcs
tenants.

Food for thought.

--
Steve K8LX

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----