[TowerTalk] grounding and shack issues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] grounding and shack issues
From: dlabat@tcinternet.net (David LaBat)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:24:20 -0500
The tower construction will begin as soon as I can dig the soil. Taking the
basic tower talk advice I decided to spend more money. Freestanding a
tubular crankup rather then house bracket it.

    In the mean time I have been building the shack, it is on the lower
level of our walk out basement home. This puts the shack floor at 3 feet
below grade.

    When I bring the feedline down the tower I intend to bring them to a
bulkhead at the wall of the operating position. This actually quite close to
the tower, about 10 feet, but that is the only way I can configure
everything. Intent is to have impulse protectors on all lines including
rotor and DBS enter at this spot.

    Since I am building at this point I can still change things so I am
soliciting really good ideas. Polyphase website seemed to say that an
operating poistion this close should have a metal barrier that is grounded.
I could put sheetmetal betwwen the walls and the sheetrock, it certainly
will add expense and difficulty building, is this worth it?

    I am really not sure is the impulse protectors penetrate the bulkhead or
if the cables then route via some other means though the wall and onto the
shack. This may change planning.

    I intend to use 3 ground rods for the tower bonded together and run to
teh ground rod at the entracne to the shack. This is my single point ground.
Intending to run multiple radials away from the tower. Polyphase says to use
ground rods about evey 16 feet bonded to these radials. Does this break the
"no daisy chain" on the ground principle? Figuring to use between 1000 and
2000 feet of cooper for the ground radials, which should also help any
80/160 verticals I may get up in the future.

    Phew! I think thatis the system... what did I miss? yes I will bond to
the house safety ground (one 8' rod). Since I am in construction I am really
interested in what I can do nowthat will pay off.

    Thanks all!
Dave KØXH

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com