[TowerTalk] big base hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] big base hole
From: n4vi@arrl.net (Chris Adams)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:05:59 -0600
As my tower plans come together the odds are increasing that I will be
installing a crank-up tower and the substantial base associated with it.

Depending upon the final tower location, the odds are quite high that I
will hit bedrock anywhere from just below the surface to 3 feet below
the surface.  Admittedly, I don't really know the definition of
"bedrock" and if all bedrock is the same, but the main point is digging
a hole will be much more difficult then in regular soil (whatever that
it).

I would prefer to dig a hole of correct dimensions and not use the
"bedrock" as part of the tower support.  This may or may not be
realistic.  I would like input from towertalkians in regards too:

1.  Digging holes in extremely rocky soil (assume blasting is not
allowed)

2.  Methods of determining bedrock strength and attaching a tower base
to bedrock.

Thanks for the input.

chris, n4vi

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,