[TowerTalk] near field pattern on 6M?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] near field pattern on 6M?
From: john.w1fv@telocity.com (John Kaufmann)
Date: 30 Apr 2001 08:19:53 -0700
On Mon, 30 April 2001, Bill Aycock wrote:

> I have an interference problem on 6M. there is a noise source that seems to
> be due north from my beam. The noise is about 800 Hz wide, and is, at
> different times, anywhere from 50.125 to 50.131 MHz. (Right- right on the
> calling frequency) Strength is about s9.
>
> The problem is that my shack is due north of the beam, and I am wondering
> if the source could be in the house. The tower is 60 ft north of the shack,
> and the beam is at about 53 ft, just above an ATB34 tri-bander. THe 6M beam
> is an MFJ 3el Yagi. THe booms are aligned.
>
> The geometry puts the receiver (and my computer) directly in line, but at a
> very depressed angle, to the beam. THe question is- is there a chance that
> the pattern is directive enough to "see" anything from my equipmqnt. or is
> it more probable that the souce is at a greater distance, and the line-up
> is coincidental?

At a range of 60 feet, the pattern of the yagi is
probably well formed enough to provide a lot of
directivity.  It's quite possible that the RFI source
could be your house.  On the other hand, interference
can carry a long way so I wouldn't rule out other
sources.  At my QTH, there are lots of birdies in the 6
meter band, some coming from directions where there is
nothing in the immediate vicinity.  One prominent one
is around 50.113, which, as I recall, is a TV mixing
product.

73, John W1FV

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com