[TowerTalk] fall arresting equipment for roofs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fall arresting equipment for roofs
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:09:38 -0400
On 5/4/01 11:13 AM, K7LXC@aol.com at K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>    The are 2 major types of safety "belts" - one is the traditional safety
>belt which just goes around your waist and the other is a fall arrest
>harness. For tower work, OSHA specs a fall arrest harness only. I don't know
>what the OSHA regs are for roof work

In addition to Steve's excellent information, I'll point out that a full
fall arrest harness doesn't cost much -- Champion Radio has them for less
than $100. Not a steep price where your safety is concerned.

>    Roofers here in Washington State have a bracket that attaches to the
>peak
>of the roof and they attach themselves to it. What I do is to run my rope
>over the roof and attach it to an anchor (tree, STURDY fence post, car
>bumper, etc.) on the other side of the house that I'll be climbing up.

Just make sure YOU have THE KEYS to the car. (Think about it)

>    You didn't mention what your roofing material is. If you've got cedar
>shakes, you can use "creepers" which are like little crampons that'll let
>you
>walk right up wet cedar shakes. If you've got tile, that's a little more
>problematic. Regular composition material is relatively easy to walk up.

I have asphalt shingles on my 10/12 roof. I tried to climb up it (using a
lower test section. Too steep. The roof material peels off and I slip --
very disconcerting. I hired a painter to do the little bit of roof-top
antenna work I needed. (He was up their painting the chimney anyway...)

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----