[TowerTalk] fall arresting equipment for roofs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fall arresting equipment for roofs
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:53:58 -0400
At 11:09 AM 5/7/01 -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:

>>    You didn't mention what your roofing material is. If you've got cedar
>>shakes, you can use "creepers" which are like little crampons that'll let
>>you
>>walk right up wet cedar shakes. If you've got tile, that's a little more
>>problematic. Regular composition material is relatively easy to walk up.
>
>I have asphalt shingles on my 10/12 roof. I tried to climb up it (using a
>lower test section. Too steep. The roof material peels off and I slip --
>very disconcerting. I hired a painter to do the little bit of roof-top
>antenna work I needed. (He was up their painting the chimney anyway...)

I feel much more precarious climbing a steeply pitched shingle roof than I
do on a 100ft tower with a proper harness.  It's not fall arrest, but as a
rooftop ,climbing aid can't you get a gadget that attaches to the top run
of an extension latter and hooks over the roof peak to give you something
secure and easy to climb up?  I've seen roofers and chimney workers use
something of this sort, I think.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----