[TowerTalk] 213/LMR coax splices and 213 vs 214?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 213/LMR coax splices and 213 vs 214?
From: Tõnno Vähk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee (Tõnno Vähk)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:33:50 +0300
Thanks to everybody for answers to my LDF 4-50A splicing question. Great
ideas really.

But splicing two pieces of RG 213 without connectors is also a issue of
interest to me. Would it be a very foolish thing to do taking into account
the low cost of UHF connectors? Or maybe there is a gain from not adding an
extra piece of risk (connector) into the feedline chain?

Please explain me why do hams use RG 214 (other reasons beside getting some
for free)? It has greater attennuation, handles less power and is a lot more
expensive than RG 213! I have some pieces of RG 214. How should I use it to
get most benefit out of the "Double Braid Silver Plated"? Is RF leakage the
key?