[TowerTalk] Questions on my tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Questions on my tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:56:26 -0600
Mike,

You really need to get a 70 MPH rating (assuming that is the
maximum wind speed rating for your county.  K7LXC can look it
up for you).  Note that the wind FORCE doubles from 50 to 70 MPH.

IF the tower had ZERO surface area, that would reduce your load
capacity by half to 15 sq ft. BUT your tower does have a finite
surface area so the REAL load capacity is even LESS.

Most likely, vertical load capacity is NOT the limiting factor unless
you are talking about a tilt-over tower.

de Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 15 May 2001  Mike King <scsueepe@mtcnet.net> writes:
> Hi all, its been a while since I have been on this reflector, need
> some info if you can spare the time.
>
> I have a US Towers HDX-555 - the heavy duty version, 55 foot crank
> up.  It
> says it is rated for 30 square feet in 50 MPH winds.  What I cant
> find is
> what the dead load rating of the tower is.  In other words, how much
> in
> pounds, of antenna, masting, cables, etc. can the tower support.
>
> Seems to me I heard 300#, but I cant even find it in my
> documentation for
> the tower (if you would even call it that)
>
> Anyway, the tower is working fine, I just am going to add a few more
> do-dads
> too it.
>
> 73 and your help is appreciated if anyone has the info.
>
> Mike - KM0T

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----