[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 05:07:31 -0400
It's probably worth mentioning that I wound up with N0AH's RCS-4's.

> On Tue, 15 May 2001 13:42:41 EDT Dinsterdog@aol.com writes:
> > If you don't mind your low band antennas picking up the AC going
> > along the
> > coax to control relay switching- the RCS4 is great- My first RCS4
> > smoked as
> > soon as I plugged it in, and the second created such a noise on
> > certain
> > positions utilizing my beverages, I took it back. (more like THREW it
> > back)

Both of those RCS-4's worked here, although one did have a
charred 100 volt disc capacitor across the 12 volt power supply
bypass line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sending AC up the feedline
to switch antennas, but it does require the cable have good shield
and center conductor connections and no water in any part of the
cable.

If you get any water or poor connections in the cable, it shows up
first as noise in the receiver. It also will allow static discharges to
blow bypass capacitors out inside the unit.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----