[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 05:07:31 -0400
> I have used three RCS-4's over the years.  Although they are not built
> quite as sturdy today (plastic cover and cheaper quality SO-239's) as they
> were seven years ago (metal cover), they work with legal limit power (not
> just a few hundred watts) and long cable lengths quite well.

They have ALWAYS used molded ABS covers. They use the same
connectors, except there was a bad batch of connectors a few
years ago.

> I have had some flaky control boxes though, with serious noise and static
> in the #1 position, so I don't use the #1 position anymore.

Then you almost certainly have loose connections or moisture in
the fitting or cable someplace.

> You will also get some corrosion in the outside boxes, due to the
> inevitable build-up of condensation and some rust.  You can use some
> sandpaper to burnish the relay contacts and that works pretty well.  I
> seal my outside boxes around the edges with silicone sealant and hand
> upside down so the condensation can drip off the relays.

NEVER mount the boxes upside down!!!! No matter how you seal
the box, it will eventually get water inside.

The metal plate should ALWAYS be down, and there should
ALWAYS be some air-gap in the edge of the box for breathing.

NEVER sandpaper the relay contacts. The relay contacts have a
thin gold flash that resists corrosion. The very most you should do
is use a hard paper soaked in WD-40 to rub the contacts clean.

Sanding the contacts and mounting the boxes inverted from the
connector-down position will guarantee failures.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----