[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:30:21 -0400
HI Tom,

> > I have used three RCS-4's over the years.  Although they are not built
> > quite as sturdy today (plastic cover and cheaper quality SO-239's) as
they
> > were seven years ago (metal cover), they work with legal limit power
(not
> > just a few hundred watts) and long cable lengths quite well.
>
> They have ALWAYS used molded ABS covers. They use the same
> connectors, except there was a bad batch of connectors a few
> years ago.

The one that I bought within the last two years had cheaper quality SO-239's
on the outer box and a SO-239 on the control box that does not properly
allow for a PL259 to be screwed-on.  Since I have two other control boxes
and could compare, the difference was obvious.

> > I have had some flaky control boxes though, with serious noise and
static
> > in the #1 position, so I don't use the #1 position anymore.
>
> Then you almost certainly have loose connections or moisture in
> the fitting or cable someplace.

Not in this case Tom.  I replaced the cable (new) and the outside box (new
one) and used with the (old) control box and the new control box. The old
one had the noise (but allowed the pl259 to be screwed on properly).  The
new one had no noise but  had the same audio in position 1 (WITHOUT AN
ANTENNA on port 1) as in position 2 with the antenna.  Seems pretty weird to
me.  The new box was bought from HRO in NH.

> > You will also get some corrosion in the outside boxes, due to the
> > inevitable build-up of condensation and some rust.  You can use some
> > sandpaper to burnish the relay contacts and that works pretty well.  I
> > seal my outside boxes around the edges with silicone sealant and hand
> > upside down so the condensation can drip off the relays.
>
> NEVER mount the boxes upside down!!!! No matter how you seal
> the box, it will eventually get water inside.
>
> The metal plate should ALWAYS be down, and there should
> ALWAYS be some air-gap in the edge of the box for breathing.

The outside box was mounted with the metal plate down pointing at the
ground - to me that is upside down.

> NEVER sandpaper the relay contacts. The relay contacts have a
> thin gold flash that resists corrosion. The very most you should do
> is use a hard paper soaked in WD-40 to rub the contacts clean.

I will remember that next time.  Tnx for the suggestion.

> Sanding the contacts and mounting the boxes inverted from the
> connector-down position will guarantee failures.

73

Bob KQ2M

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----