[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections
From: VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (VE6JY Don Moman)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:08:46 +0100
A gin pole to handle this would be, by itself, quite a heavy and cumbersome
item. Often a smaller gin pole is used to erect the main pole - which in
many cases is a small tower itself.  A lot of work any way you do it.

Certainly a crane, if you can get one to the site, is a quick and often far
more inexpensive solution than you might think. And there are far fewer
things to go wrong, an important safety issue.

I put up a similarly sized and constructed tower last fall - they are very
rigid and in my case, was easily lifted in one piece. I think I picked it up
at the 110 level or so and bending was minimal, even with a several hundred
pound rotor on the top.  Although preparation work took weeks, the actual
lift takes only an hour or so.  Most of the time is actually getting the
guys attached and making sure the tower is safe and plumb enough to climb so
one can unhook the crane.

73 Don
VE6JY

> About a decade ago I acquired a little broadcast tower and am now wanting
> put it up.  There are eight sections, 20 foot long each, about 18 inches
on
> a side, solid rod legs about 1.5 inches in diameter, and each section
weighs
> 420 pounds.  Any ideas on the construction of a gin pole that would handle
> this thing would be appreciated.
>
> Stan, K5GO

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----