[TowerTalk] Antenna database

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna database
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:34:43 -0400
On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:06:37 -0400 "EUGENE  SMAR"
<SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net> writes:

>     What do you-all think of this idea?  Among us we probably own
> every
> conceivable Yagi, log-periodic, and other antenna, old and new, HF
> through
> UHF, made of aluminum and presenting appreciable wind area known to
> hamdom. Most (some) of us probably still have the assembly/instruction
> manuals.  How
> 'bout if one owner of each antenna model volunteers to calculate the
> area for the boom, element, mounting plates, etc. for his selected
> skyhook(s) and post the figures here on TT?

K1VR:  Terrific idea. May I suggest a refinement? Perhaps someone would
care to establish the standard spreadsheet so that all calculations can
be reconfirmed, and, in so far as someone wishes to apply a different
formula for effective windload, that person need only start with the
existing spreadsheet of measurements. So, under this plan, every
calaculation would not be a simple number, but would be posted to a web
site (do we have a volunteer?) as a *.XLS spreadsheet. For example:
HyGain TH6DXX.xls, Force 12 C3SS.xls, etc.

>      I know someone out there (probably from here in the U.S.) will
> probably bring up the liability issue, e.g., I bought the antenna based
on
> TT's figures and it turns out the figures were wrong, etc.  However,
> let's all agree that, if we do this, the info is just another set of
data
> points to be used with other sources of info that we evaluate in making
> purchase decision.

K1VR: The web page owner may choose to post the following disclaimer:
"The author of the spreadsheet and the web site owner make no
representations as to the accuracy of the data presented and specifically
state that the data provided may not be relied upon for purposes
connected to safety. Users are cautioned that the author is not likely to
be a professional engineer, is not likely to be licensed in the user's
jurisdiction, and, in any event, he or she intends no relationship to the
user whatsoever that may result in liability. Mistakes are a real
possibility."

Fred Hopengarten K1VR
hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----