[TowerTalk] 80m Yagis -- Too Tough to Tame?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Yagis -- Too Tough to Tame?
From: coneal@ma.ultranet.com (Chuck O'Neal)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:53:40 -0400

Not really.

I bought a KLM 80M-3, a 3 E 75M yagi in 1984 and had it up 9
years.  I modified it by adding Phillystran to side guy the elements and the
boom. I did not change any of the materials supplied by KLM.  That is why
I had to take it down 10 years later.  Some of the SS hardware in the
overhead guying for the linear loading was 400 series and
rusted to the point of failure. This antenna survived hurricane
Gloria with peak winds of 105 MPH at my QTH.  It would still
be up today if I didn't lose interest in 75M DXing.  I rebuilt this antena and
never bothered to put it back up.

I know where it can be had for $2500. (Not me, I sold it)

You need the large prop pitch rotator, not those small to medium ones, I
went through two of them.  Also, the tower must have torque arms on it.
Make sure the rotor plate is at the torque arm assembly so no
torsional moment is transmitted through the tower, otherwise you will
twist it apart by snaping the welds of the cross bracing.

It's just a matter of scaling and if you think about it, assuming two
dimensions,
the forces and difficulty go up at at least  by the inverse square of
frequency and perhaps a bit more.

73,
Chuck...K1KW (ex WA1EKV)

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----