[TowerTalk] Hawks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hawks
From: jhfitzpa@facstaff.wisc.edu (James H. Fitzpatrick, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:35:12 -0500
There is a bald eagle's nest on top of a large hemlock tree on the other
side of the lake, about 400 meters from my northern WI station. They've been
there as long as we have, 17 years, and there are eaglets every 3 years or
so. They're around all the time, fishing in the lake except when it freezes
over when they fish in the nearby river. They sit on trees 100 ft from our
cabin and watch things. People don't seem to bother them at all, though they
do get nervous when my dogs get too close to them. Never seen them on either
tower, just on the trees near the tower. It's real cool to have an eagle go
by you about 20 ft away when you're working on the top of the tower - it's
happened at least a couple of times. The point about the camera is well
taken - I've never had one up there when they've gotten close.

Jim

WI9WI

-----