[TowerTalk] Protecting connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting connectors
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:10:54 -0400
> connections.  He then slid the PVC over the splice area and filled it with
> several tubes of silicone to both ends and buried it.  It is still working
> but I can't vouch for what it looks like at this time.  What would be
> wrong with doing something like this for coax connectors possibly even
> without the PVC? Seems to me like the silicone would seal it pretty good.

There are different worrys in different applications. If you only run a
few hundred volts and the gap is large, even rain water works well
as an insulator.

For high-power RF, I'd seriously worry about anything that might
leave a coating or residue that contains carbon-rich materials or
chemicals...or anything that reduces voltage breakdown.

RTV silicones have acetic acid in them, and as they cure the vapor
will seep into whatever is around. If that vapor gets out before
corrosion is done, all is well. Sometimes that happens, other times
not.

I run into similar issues with high power RF connections in relays,
power amps, and matching systems. The last thing in the world
you ever want is a grease or compound that contains carbon or
carbon-rich compounds or anything corrosive like an acid or acid
vapor.

I do use hydrocarbons to clean, but I use stuff that evaporates in a
few minutes with no residue.

The connection is from pressure, and that is always enough if you
keep moisture away. If not, you need another type of connector!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----