[TowerTalk] Protecting connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting connectors
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:13:00 +0100
there are actually heat shrink tubings with a melting sealant that are made for
buried or submerged splices.  i have used some of it on coax connectors, granted
it does seal them up, but boy is it a pain to remove... a slit down the length
with a carpet knife them stick in a screwdriver and pry it apart is the best way
i have found.

the simplest way i have found is to just buy the cheap duct seal (the not so
sticky stuff that comes in 1# blocks) and mold that around the connector, then
cover with a layer or two of electrical tape.  the tape squeezes the duct seal
into the connector and protects it from the elements.

you do have to watch out for some of the silicone sealants.  some of it gives of
an acid as it cures that can affect the metal of the connectors.  it also
doesn't really 'stick' to metal or coax shields so flexing can cause gaps that
let moisture wick up under it.

Jimmy Miller wrote:

> Several years ago a friend of mine needed to make a long run of electrical
> power to a barn/shop and had to make a splice about halfway out.  He was
> trying to figure how to portect it without buying heavy expensive waterproof
> box that he would need to bury.  What he did was to slide a piece of PVC
> tubing over one end of the cable and then made his connections.  He then
> slid the PVC over the splice area and filled it with several tubes of
> silicone to both ends and buried it.  It is still working but I can't vouch
> for what it looks like at this time.  What would be wrong with doing
> something like this for coax connectors possibly even without the PVC?
> Seems to me like the silicone would seal it pretty good.
>
> 73, Jim
> KG0KP
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com