[TowerTalk] What is a good way to rotate a tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What is a good way to rotate a tower?
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:40:58 -0500
In all good spirit and courtesy, as a retired naval officer who in younger
days spent many hours in "turits", please allow me to correct the spelling
to "turret", which is a term generally reserved for gun mounts which are
completely enclosed and have humans running around inside, like the big guns
on battleships and those on tanks. The ones on battleships can throw a 16"
diameter 2,000 pound high explosive projectile over 20 miles with extreme
accuracy. They were a source of enemy terror on many an occasion right up to
the end of the Viet Nam war.

It is possible that older WW2 20mm or 40mm gun mounts might be available via
one of the large shipbuilding and scrap iron firms that dismantle and sell
the steel from retired navy ships. Keep in mind that the smaller the gun,
the faster it would train (move in azimuth). A 40mm gun mount would just
about give the crew whiplash if the guy on the remote controller got carried
away. It would take some serious machine/gearing work to make it feasible.
And even a relatively small 40mm mount base would weigh thousands of pounds
and be about 12' across, as I recall. An interesting but not very practical
idea. I'd think a base mount from a scrapped small crane might be a better
source for a large finely made ring gear and drive setup. It would make a
heck of a tower rotator, though.

73's and Anchors Aweigh!
Jerry W5KP