[TowerTalk] What is a good way to rotate a tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What is a good way to rotate a tower?
From: sm2cew@telia.com (Peter Sundberg)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:13:27 +0200
My good friend Doug, VK3UM uses a ring gear from a Centurion tank at the
base of his tower supporting a 30' dish. The gear is 7' in diameter and
rotates very smoothly with the original 28VDC motor/gearbox assembly. There
is no backlash at all and with PWM control of the motor rotation speed is
easily controlled. Doug's hilltop installation has survived a number of
storms without problems despite the 30' Kennedy dish catching wind at the
top of the tower.

I see no problem putting a self supporting HF tower on such a ring gear and
then rotate the whole thing.

The guy in VK3 who sold the ring gear to Doug had another 5 of them tucked
away in his garage when we were there.... pity they sit so far away from SM2..

73/Peter SM2CEW
www.qsl.net/sm2cew

At 03:55 2001-08-29 , you wrote:

>Has anyone ever used a large gun turit to sit a tower onto and then turn
>it through tower rings.
>If the tower was self supporting no rings would be needed.
>

>Jack
>wb4roy
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----