[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: w0etc@ix.netcom.com (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:38:59 -0000
My primary love has always been the low bands.  Six years ago I moved to the
present QTH which is 2.75 acres. . Prior to that I live in the city of Des
Moines, Iowa on a 57 by 155 ft lot. The low band antenna was a Gap-Voyager.
It played good on 40 and earned a certificate in one of the contest as a
single band 40 meter entry, on 80 the first winter I worked 88 countries on
SSB, and in the CQ 160 SSB test I worked 48 states.  A lot of people
criticize this antenna on 160 but I was happy with it.

While it is true that the 4 squares for 40, 80, & 160 at this QTH beat the
heck out of the Voyager it was still a decent low band antenna for a small
lot.  It was a case of doing the best I could in my opinion within the land
and $$ available.

BTW, since this QTH is not in the desirable direction (i.e., west of town)
but is east of the city it actually cost less than many smaller homes on a
city lot.

73 W0ETC