[TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas
From: blueis@sprintmail.com (GB)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:20:39 -0400

Now hear me out BEFORE you laugh... and THEN tell me why this isn't a good
idea!

Ever since the '60s I have used Vaseline on all outdoor antennas.  This
obviously includes all nuts and bolts, but also splice connections,
connectors, etc.  If we ASSUME (and ensure!) that we have good mechanical
AND electrical connections, we can apply a liberal amount to Vaseline.  It
fills in seams/pores, prevents air AND water from reaching components
(prevents oxidation), is cheap, NEVER solidifies, and is relatively easy to
clean up.  A drawback:  it collects dirt!  Dust and dirt will 'stick' to the
surface of the Vaseline.  However, if good M&E connections were made PRIOR
to applying the Vaseline, this is not a problem as this contamination
resides on the surface.

I do not know if this material will present a problem under high power.  I
have used up to 200,000 mW without a problem.  I have not noticed any
'migration' of the Vaseline.  That is, I have not seen the Vaseline migrate
into a good M&E connection and make it a bad connection.

Aside from the *obvious* uses, has anyone else used it for antennas??  I
have taken a TA-33Jr, dipoles and coax in after being outdoors for years...
no oxidation visible after clean-up, no water/moisture in coax, nuts and
bolts operate as new...

Allright, NOW go ahead and tell me why Vaseline is the worst thing to use!!

Gary B
k3gb

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----