[TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas
From: n0tt1@juno.com (n0tt1@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:56:33 -0700
Hi TT ers

Back in the late 50's, my dad and I had a ground plane antenna on the
roof of our house.  We used silicone in the coax connector to
keep water out...it MAY have been suggested in the instructions
to do that.  Maybe a year later, the connector shorted out and
blamed the trouble on lightning, etc.

Sometime later, I installed commercial mobile radios for a living.
It was common practice in the shop to apply silicone "grease" to the
multi- pinned "Jones" plug pins because they were then easy to
insert/remove.
About 6 months later the customer would come back with a problem...
blown fuse.  Troubleshot and found a DEAD SHORT in the "Jones"
connector between battery and ground.  That happen on at least
two occasions that I know of.....THEN, several years later, I installed
a Bakelite connector on my truck and again used silicone...about
6 months later a fuse blew.  Sure enough the connector shorted...
a dead short.

It was then that I realized that the silicone had to be chemically
reacting
with the Bakelite to cause the short.

Some insulating material may be immune to silicone, but IMHO don't
use silicone IN a coax connector or any other connector, especially
the mica-filled Bakelite type.

73,
Charlie, N0TT