[TowerTalk] Water in tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Water in tower
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:52:54 -0500
Mel:

Another suggestion a commercial tower person gave me years ago when I was
putting
up 40 ft of Rohn 25 was to put in a six inch to 1 foot or so layer of gravel at
the bottom of the hole then press the base or bottom tower section into the
gravel slightly and moisture in the legs would then drain through the gravel
into
the dirt below.  I tried it with the Rohn 25 I put up and never had any moisture
problems, even when I took the tower down several years later when I was moving
to a new QTH.  I've since bought a  50 ft Tri Ex crank up that has a slightly
bent, but still "open" bottom on each of the 3 "legs" of each tower crank up
section.

Tom, WW5L

Mel Farrer wrote:

> All of the tower that I have seen, mostly commercial, had a small hole at
> the bottom of the section before it entered the concrete to allow weeping of
> water out.  They also had exposed section legs capped to minimize water
> entry.  I would refer you to the old saying if you want to keep water out of
> something, leave a small hole at the bottom.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----