[TowerTalk] RG83/U

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG83/U
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 06:16:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/15/01 10:22:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n8ug@juno.com
writes:

<<
 For the group's interest, we've received a shipment of RG83/U, the 35 ohm
 coax that has been very hard to find in the past year or so.
 Briefly, The characteristics are, in addition to the characteristic
 impedance, capacitance of 44pf/ft, velocity factor .66, 0.102" OD solid
 bare copper center conductor, pe dielectric, 97% bc shield and 0.405" PVC
 jacket.
 Pricing, happily, is markedly less than the previous stock.
 73,

35 ohm coax is great coax for matching 24 ohm loads typical of mobile whips
and beams but it's still unbalanced.  There is away to incorporate it into a
Bazooka for a balanced feed for beams with more bandwidth.  It's also great
for making 70 ohm balanced coax series connected.  It's ideal for steeping
down 100 ohm balanced coax to 49 ohm loads.  I've paralleled 2-75 ohm coaxes
to obtain 37.5 ohms coaxes.  I've paralleled a 75&92 ohm coax and obtained a
41 ohm coax or a balanced 81 ohm coax

This sounds like very useful stuff and I'd like to buy some.  I like the
.102" solid center conductor.

Press.  I recently described some 60 ohm coax Columbia goofed on back in the
60's selling as 50 ohm Pollyfoam.  This has many applications in particular
as a 1/4 wave stub to match 72 ohm loads  I've tried to get Columbia to make
it again as 60 ohm coax but it was a bit embarassing.  Perhaps you got more
Clout and can get them or another maker to do it.  I think it would be a
seller.  We need more Zo's like this for use of 1/4 wave unbalanced and
balanced stubs.  I have some RG-59 size 56 ohm coax from WWII.
 k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----