[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's
From: Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl (Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:25:43 +0100

I can only second Peter's comments. Last year I bought a crimper for PL-259
connectors and a box of crimpable Suhner PL-259 connectors. Since then I
simply crimp the connector on and solder the center connector.

I think it was the best investment I've ever made to antenna tooling. It
saves me all the headache and I can install a PL-259 in a minute. The
crimping tool provides the right amount of stress and creates a long
connection along the braid.

Jumper cables in the shack are made up with the crimp connectors. None of
them produced any kind of failures yet.

73 de Zoli HA1AG

> Well, I did say that I do not solder the shield. And I use
> the connectors
> both indoors and outdoors, both on HF and VHF at high power.
>
> Of course there would be problems if the CENTER conductor is
> not soldered,
> I always solder it properly.
>

> 73/Peter SM2CEW

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,