[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's
From: DMartin560@aol.com (DMartin560@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:52:34 EST
I can Second (or third) this!  The use of crimp PL259 is wonderful!

I use RF Industries crimp-on connectors for practically everything...except
PL259's on RG58 coax, they don't make a conn for it.  I use PL259, SO239, NM,
NF, BNC, TNC, Mini UHF on Times LMR400 and LMR240 cable...either standard or
Ultraflex.

For PL259's on LMR400 cable the center pin is crimpable but I usually solder
it.
The PL259 RFI conn I use is RFU-507-SI.  You can find info at <
www.tessco.com >
I don't have the model number of the crimp tool handy.

When I HAVE to solder a 259, I only use Amphenol silver.

Just my opinion.

73
Dwayne  KG4ADM

<< I can only second Peter's comments. Last year I bought a crimper for PL-259
 connectors and a box of crimpable Suhner PL-259 connectors. Since then I
 simply crimp the connector on and solder the center connector.

 I think it was the best investment I've ever made to antenna tooling. It
 saves me all the headache and I can install a PL-259 in a minute. The
 crimping tool provides the right amount of stress and creates a long
 connection along the braid.

 Jumper cables in the shack are made up with the crimp connectors. None of
 them produced any kind of failures yet.

 73 de Zoli HA1AG

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----