[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000SDX rotator freewheeling after windstorm

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000SDX rotator freewheeling after windstorm
From: K9ze@aol.com (K9ze@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 05:02:26 EST
Hello Doug,

The two-part, clamshell clamp which sits on top of your rotor is a casting.
One of the most common problems with Yaesu's rotors is that one or both sides
of this clamp will crack, loosening its attachment to the mast - - -
resulting in a windmill.

If this is the case, when you replace the clamp assembly, make sure that the
horizontal bolts are thoroughly tightened before tightening down the bolts
attaching the clamp to the top of the rotor housing.
Also, a preventative measure available to you is to through-bolt the
clamp/mast assembly.

Good luck,
Ron, K9ZE

=====          =====
In a message dated 11/3/01 7:14:32 PM Central Daylight Time, W0AH@aol.com
writes:

> Tuesday we had quite a few gusts over 60 mph, and probably a few over 70
MPH,

>  during a 12 hour period.  Quick eyeballing of antennas doesn't show any
>  damage, but the Yaesu rotar is freewheeling, indicating, I suppose, that
> some
>  gears were broken.  For a couple of years it's rotated my KT34XA an inch
>  above the tower thrust bearing and a 2 el Cushcraft beam 8' above that,
and
>  at right angles (90 gegrees) to the KT34XA.  Has anyone had any experience
>  with damaged Yaesu G-1000SDX rotators and repair of same?   If the info is
> in
>  the archives, please advice me how to find it.  Thanks.   Glad I got a
good
>  effort in the CQWW last weekend since I'll not be able to attempt a
>  competitive effort this weekend in the SS.
>  Doug  W0AH
>
>  List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>  Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>  supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.
> com
>
>  -----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,