[TowerTalk] George de Lee....Aluminum threaded machinescrews?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] George de Lee....Aluminum threaded machinescrews?
From: W9IXX@arrl.net (Philip Florig)
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:07:20 -0600
At 12:25 11/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Can't think of a simpler way to solve the 'loosening' problem...
>After tightening the screws .. cover them with RTV silicone seal ...
>[Non-corrosive type only] .. after the silicone sets .. it will never
>allow the bolts/screws to loosen.
>Don
>N8DE

Hi,

I did the same thing here and has worked very well. No problems since doing
this.  A few added things that I would suggest.

1. Make sure the area where the RTV is to go is cleaned very well with a
non-residue type thinner or cleaner.

2. Once it is dabbed on the area, rub it in to all the areas that you want
it to adhere to. This includes the housing and the screws.

3. Once the RTV has set, I usually wait a day or two, then wrap the housing
all around with Super 33 or 88 tape. I half lap in two directions and when
just about finished let up on the stretching and finish. Cut with scissors
or knife. This will prevent the end from flagging.

This has lasted me for years on the Ham IV series rotors.

73    Phil

Philip Florig           e-mail:pflorig@ieee.org
PO Box 44                   (or):W9IXX@arrl.net
Worth, IL.  60482           amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                      also:J3X-T30,31,32,33P
                            team member:AH1A-J3A