[TowerTalk] RE: Broken (freewilling ) Yaesu G-1000 rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Broken (freewilling ) Yaesu G-1000 rotor
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:11:04 EST
A week ago I posted that very high winds has apparently broken gear(s) in my
Yaesu G-1000 rotor.  I received a number of emails- thank you- but none
related any experience with fixing (replacing gears in)a Yaesu rotor.  Most
of the email replies suggested that the bolt through the rotor and mast
probably broke.  Unfortuately, this was not the case.  Another emailer said
that after he looking at the mess inside the rotor, he through it away- after
receiving the $ from the insurance claim. My own insurance deductable is
probably about the same as the cost of a new rotor, so I would like to try
and repair it.  Several times I have replaced the ring gear in my Hygain
Tailtwister (no it didn't stand up to the winds on my hill, either).  I don't
think a KT-34XA at 40', three inches above the thrust bearing, with a 2 el CC
40M beam 8 feet above the KLM and (at 90 degrees to it) should be too much
wind surface area for either the Tailtwister or the G-1000, but obviosly the
almost daily 30 MPH winds and occasional 50, 60, and 70 MPH winds take their
toll.
 Has anyone opened up a Yaesu rotor, found the broken gear(s), ordered them
from Yaesu, and replaced same?

Doug  W0AH at 9000' ASL near Pikes Peak

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----