[TowerTalk] How to mount choke balun?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to mount choke balun?
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:28:18 -0500
On 11/15/01 9:18 PM, Tom Osborne at w7why@harborside.com wrote:

>I may be wrong, but I thought the coils need to be at least 8" in
>diameter to work.  Isn't winding RG8 in a 4" circle kinda
>stressing it a bit?

Ed Gilbert's famous posting about coiled coax baluns mentions using a 4"
form. It should not be a problem so long as a solid dielectric coax is
used. Foam dielectric coax might suffer from some center conductor
migration -- which could lead to a failure.

Regardless, from Ed's note, you really need a form for a coiled coax
balun anyway. You want the coax in one layer, and you don't want to bunch
the turns at all. That's really hard to do without a form.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----