[TowerTalk] How to mount choke balun?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to mount choke balun?
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:21:15 -0800
Tom, I noticed one day that the base line on my SM220 CRT monitor was
not straight but kind of wavey. I had an electric clock sitting on top
of it. When I removed the clock, the base line was straight. The case is
steel. CRT's use magnetic fields to deflect the electron beam. The clock
was one of the 24 hour jobs with a motor driven drum dial. It is now
evident that the magnetic 60 hz flux field from the air gap in the motor
magnetic assembly can penetrate the steel case of the monitor. I have
had similar problems in my work(before retirement) and they were solved
by inserting some mu metal sheet between the two.
73, Dan, N5AR

Tom Osborne wrote:

> Chris BONDE wrote:
> >
> > Tom:
> > Are you sure that the interference is going throught the air?  Could it be
> > going through the power cords?
>
> I don't think so because when I move the monitor farther away
> from the amp, the waves quit even though the power cords are
> going through the same hole on the back of the desk.
> Tom W7WHY
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
> -----