[TowerTalk] Tall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tall
From: george.shaw@ukf.net (George Shaw)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:45:33 -0000
Ok this may seems a silly question but with all this talk of 2000' + towers
it got me thinking. WHY does the height of the tower matter so much? Is it
to elevate the antenna above the surrounding ground level due to some sort
of RF coupling or is it to gain max distance?

Is it not easier to mount a shorter tower on higher ground atop a hill? I
have a 300' tower beside me but if it was moved 1/3rd mile east it would
place the top of the antenna at 1500 ' as it's up a hill? So is it that the
antenna needs to be a certain wavelength from g/l ?

--
George Shaw

eMail:                          george.shaw@btinternet.com
eMail:                          george.shaw@ukf.net
Fax/Voice Mail:          +44 (0) 87 0133 6126
Mobile:                       +44 (0) 77 4036 1163
ICQ#:                          1741675

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----