[TowerTalk] Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 06:42:49 +0000

Pat
The best and safest way to do this is to run the wire that goes around the
tree thru some old garden hose, this keeps the wire from cutting into the
tree bark. Also don't tie the wire tight around the tree. Tie it loose in a
teardrop shape, tight on the back side but loose on the front so the tree
can grow like the way you would wrap a rope around your waist to pull a
heavy load. The tension on the wire will keep the wire from sliding down or
you can run it over braches to hold the wire up. Just remember to cover the
wire where ever it comes in contact with the tree to protect the bark.
Some would say that it doesn't mater if you tie the wire tight around the
tree trunk as the tree bark will grow around the wire in time. This is true
but it leaves a weak spot in the bark and give pests and diseases easy
access to the tender growth under the bark that could kill the tree in time.
73
Rick
KC5AJX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>