[TowerTalk] Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees
From: n4gi@tampabay.rr.com (Blake M. Meinecke)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:19:20 -0500
>     Please DO NOT put anything around a tree. All of the sap, water,
> nutrients, etc. are brought up under the bark layer. Anything that puts
> pressure on this epidermal path will choke off the sap and eventually kill
> the tree.

Tying things around a tree really won't hurt them.  Increased risk of
disease, yes, but:

The vascular plant tissue cell types (xylem,phloem, parenchyma,
sclerenchyma) will each make up for deficiencies in their neighbors.  An
exception (occasionally) to this is when a tree is girdled, disrupting the
flow entirely, all at once.  Abrasion this severe would be hard to
accomplish by manually wrapping wire/rope around it, a chainsaw sometimes
doesn't even work!

Ever look at really old barbed wire fences?  Good ol' trees just grow right
around them w/o blinking.  Garden hose is pointless, it'll be rotten and
gone before it has a chance to eleviate "pressure" on the tree.  Even if
it's not, the tree will grow around it too.

Trees, the perfect ham radio organism.

73,
Blake N4GI
Ecologist, Environmental Consultant